Interesting movies are actually quite subjective. Plot, plot or locations of a movie; It can evoke different feelings in us. But there are such films in the world of cinema; almost everyone agrees on their quirkiness. These productions, which we describe as interesting films, can treat subjects that are on the border of the mind as if they are something. We bring together these films with interesting subjects, strange events and different plots. If you are ready, let’s take a closer look at our list of interesting movies together.
30) Rubber – Tire (2010) | IMDb: 5.8
- Genre: Comedy, Horror, Fantasy
- Director: Quentin Dupieux
- Cast: Stephen Spinella, Roxane Mesquida, Wings Hauser
When talking about interesting films, Rubber is one of the first names that come to mind for those who like strange productions. One day in the middle of the desert, a car tire named Robert gains consciousness. This ” Tire “, which also has telekinetic powers, begins to kill everyone in its path. He even becomes obsessed with a mysterious woman living in this rubber desert town. Shot by director Quentin Dupieux, this critique is the kind of movie you don’t see every day.
29) Creep (2014) | IMDb: 6.4
- Genre: Horror, Thriller
- Director: Patrick Brice
- Cast: Patrick Brice, Mark Duplass
Creep, one of the most uncanny examples of the found-film genre, is also a very interesting production. A man named Josef is dying and wants to have his last moments recorded before he dies. Barely finding a job, videographer Aaron jumps right into this seemingly easy one-day job. Reaching Josef’s home on the mountain, Aaron realizes that the seemingly simple day will not be as easy as he thought.
28) The Invention of Lying (2009) | IMDb: 6.4
- Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance
- Directors: Ricky Gervais, Matthew Robinson
- Cast: Ricky Gervais, Jennifer Garner, Jonah Hill
Imagine a world where all the people living on it live by telling the absolute truth without any lies. The Invention of Lying takes place in exactly such a world. Mark, who lives in this world where there is no lie, has been fired from his job and is unable to pay the rent of his house. This leads Mark to discover the lie. The film, which started as an interesting utopia in a rosy atmosphere, turns into a harsh criticism of faith as it progresses.
27) Manifesto (2015) | IMDb: 6.6
- Genre: Drama
- Director: Julian Rosefeldt
- Cast: Cate Blanchett, Erika Bauer, Ruby Bustamante
Manifesto is a very interesting movie in which Cate Blanchett plays 13 different characters without getting lazy or misfiring. Cate Blanchett in the movie respectively; Homeless Man, Stockbroker, A Tattooed Punk, CEO, Funeral Speaker, Choreographic Designer, Puppeteer, Recycling Worker, Scientist, Conservative Mother, News Presenter, Announcer, and Teacher. Blanchett brings to the big screen the manifestos of famous names who have engraved their names in history with every role she plays.
26) Bruce Almighty – Oh my God! (2003) | IMDb: 6.8
- Genre: Comedy, Fantasy
- Director: Tom Shadyac
- Cast: Jim Carrey, Jennifer Aniston, Morgan Freeman
What would be the best response to a person who constantly cries out to God? Oh my God, who answered his question like a slap! leaves us with a god-like Jim Carrey. A famous reporter in his own right, Bruce is confronted by God himself one day when he complains to God.
God, who manifests himself to Bruce in human form, wants to prove his hard work by giving his powers to Bruca. Oh my God! is undoubtedly one of the most entertaining movies on our list of interesting movies.
25) Ready or Not – Hide and Seek (2019) | IMDb: 6.9
- Genre: Action, Comedy, Thriller
- Directors: Matt Bettinelli-Olpin, Tyler Gillett
- Cast: Samara Weaving, Adam Brody, Mark O’Brien
Going back and forth between family secrets, curses, and deals with the devil, Ready or Not presents these themes in a different way. Namely; Coming from the wealthy Le Domas family, Alex decides to marry a girl named Grace. But the Le Domas family is not a normal family.
Because this family is cursed because of the deal they made with the devil at the time. Family members, on the other hand, have to play a game with each new member of the family in order to survive. According to the card drawn from the devil’s riddle box, which game will be played is also determined. Luckily for Grace, she has the extremely rare and deadly game of Hide and Seek.
24) Raw – Raw (2016) | IMDb: 7.0
- Genre: Drama, Horror
- Director: Julia Ducournau
- Cast: Garance Marillier, Ella Rumpf, Rabah Nait Oufella
Films dealing with the theme of cannibalism usually revolve around the character of Hannibal Lecter . But the French production Raw manages to bring a whole new dimension to this theme. A lifelong vegetarian, Justine is starting her first year of veterinary school.
While at school, Justine makes strange friends and her life changes when she has to eat raw rabbit meat one day. From this point on, Justine develops a relentless passion for meat. Even cooked meat is not enough for Justine and she starts eating raw meat before she can stop herself.
23) El hoyo – The Platform (2019) | IMDb: 7.0
- Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller
- Director: Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia
- Cast: Ivan Massague, Zorion Eguileor, Antonia San Juan
When it comes to interesting films , The Platform is undoubtedly one of the first productions that come to mind in recent times. The Platform also makes a deep system criticism among these interesting ones.
The movie basically takes place in a vertically positioned prison. There are hundreds of floors in this prison. Every day, meals are served on a platform from top to bottom.
Of course, due to people’s greed, the food that can actually be enough for everyone runs out before they reach the middle floors. We are watching an enormous criticism of the system through the eyes of Goreng, who entered this prison voluntarily.
22) Phone Booth – Phone Booth (2002) | IMDb: 7.0
- Genre: Crime, Thriller
- Director: Joel Schumacher
- Cast: Colin Farrell, Kiefer Sutherland, Forest Whitaker
Standing out with its cleverly written script, Phone Booth is mostly set in a tiny phone booth. Basically, in the movie, we watch the tension-filled moments of a man held hostage with a sniper rifle inside a phone booth by a murderer.
Although this topic may sound absurd at first, the movie starts to get more interesting as the minutes progress. Phone Booth is one of the rare films that does such an immersive job in a confined space.
21) Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure – The Adventures of Bill and Ted (1989) | IMDb: 7.0
- Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Music
- Director: Stephen Herek
- Cast: Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter, George Carlin
Starting out as a simple school and teen movie, Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure evolves into an adventure that turns into a parade of time travel and historical figures. In the movie where Keanu Reeves is younger, we are the guests of the lives of two lazy high school students named Bill and Ted.
The lives of these two friends take a very interesting turn before our eyes. Because Bill and Ted start to time travel in order not to fail the history lesson.
20) Free Guy – Real Hero (2021) | IMDb: 7.4
- Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy
- Director: Shawn Levy
- Cast: Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer, Taika Waititi
Many movies have been made about the game world before. But Free Guy manages to stand out by approaching things from a different perspective. In the movie, we watch a man named Guy, who is doing banking in a city called Free City.
Guy’s life changes during a bank robbery. During this heist, Guy realizes that he is an NPC, or non-playable character, in an open world game called Free City. From this point on, things start to get pretty interesting.
19) Perfume: The Story of a Murderer – Fragrance: The Story of a Murderer (2006) | IMDb: 7.5
- Genre: Crime, Drama, Fantasy
- Director: Tom Tykwer
- Cast: Ben Whishaw, Dustin Hoffman, Alan Rickman
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer brings to the screen the tragedy of Jean-Baptiste, whose nose smells fantastically good. Adapted from Patrick Süskind’s novel Perfume, the film tells the story of Jean-Baptiste, who smells everything intensely but does not have the scent of his own skin. 18. In the film, which takes place on the streets of Paris in the 19th century, we watch the tragic and interesting story of Jean-Baptiste, in which he does not hesitate to commit murder to create the “one scent”.
18) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World – Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010) | IMDb: 7.5
- Genre: Comedy, Action, Fantasy
- Director: Edgar Wright
- Cast: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is one of the weirdest productions on our list of interesting movies. In the movie, we follow the adventures of Scott Pilgrim, who plays the bass guitar in the band Sex Bob-omb. The life of Scott Pilgrim, who lives in Toronto, starts to take a very interesting turn when he falls in love with the American Ramona Flowers.
Because Scott has to defeat Ramona’s seven evil exes in order to continue his happy life with Ramona. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a movie that fantastically combines the atmosphere of arcade games with youth, music and adventure.
17) Total Recall – Recall (1990) | IMDb: 7.5
- Genre: Sci-Fi, Action, Thriller
- Director: Paul Verhoeven
- Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone, Michael Ironside
Based on Philip K. Dick’s short story We Can Remember It For You Wholesale , Total Recall takes place in a very interesting future. In the movie, a man named Quaid, a simple civil servant, constantly dreams of going to Mars.
Fueled by the desire to truly go to Mars, Quaid enrolls in a program to implant virtual memories of a trip to Mars. But these virtual memories will actually bring to light the “real memories” buried deep in his mind.
16) Predestination – Beyond Time (2014) | IMDb: 7.5
- Genre: Sci-Fi, Drama, Action
- Directors: Michael Spierig, Peter Spierig
- Cast: Ethan Hawke, Sarah Snook, Noah Taylor
Time travel is a frequent theme in cinema. But no time travel movie manages to be as strange and confusing as Predestination. We have a temporal agent in the movie. This agent travels through time trying to stop major crimes before they happen. When our agent goes to 1970 to stop a terrorist named the Fiasco Bomber, he finds himself in a brain-burning paradox.
15) The Game – The Game (1997) | IMDb: 7.7
- Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller
- Director: David Fincher
- Cast: Michael Douglas, Deborah Kara Unger, Sean Penn
It would be impossible not to make a list of interesting films and not mention a few David Fincher films. 1997’s The Game is one of Fincher’s most brilliantly crafted and strangest films. Nicholas, a controlling businessman, receives an unprecedented birthday present.
Nicholas’ brother, Conrad, has prepared a birthday present for him that will make him lose all control of his life. Nicholas, who suddenly finds himself in the middle of a mysterious game, gets into a life-or-death struggle where he has to leave his comfort zone.
14) Being John Malkovich – Being John Malkovich (1999) | IMDb: 7.7
- Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
- Director: Spike Jonze
- Cast: John Cusack, Cameron Diaz, Catherine Keener
Being John Malkovich is one of the most interesting films in the cinema world. Craig, a successful puppeteer in the movie, is struggling to make ends meet. Craig, who is not on good terms with his wife Lotte, finally gets a job at a company and starts to improve his financial situation. But Craig’s life will be changed forever with a strange door at work. Because this door is actually a portal to the head of the famous actor John Malkovich.
13) Ghostbusters – Ghostbusters (1984) | IMDb: 7.8
- Genre: Action, Comedy, Fantasy
- Director: Ivan Reitman
- Cast: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Ernie Hudson
Ghostbusters is a movie that we are all familiar with and that we come across from time to time. It is also one of the most interesting fantasy films. Ghostbusters, the most expensive comedy movie of its time with the special and practical effects used, is actually a parody of classic horror movies.
Because it is quite absurd that 4 unemployed teachers set up a ghost capture company in New York. And considering that at the end of the movie, these 4 “ghost hunters” are fighting a huge marshmallow possessed by evil spirits, things get interesting and absurd.
12) The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) | IMDb: 7.8
- Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Romance
- Director: David Fincher
- Cast: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Tilda Swinton
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is actually pretty weird. Benjamin, whose father was a watchmaker during the First World War, was born old as a result of a backwards clock made by his father. Benjamin, born on the last day of the war, bears the image of an 85-year-old man. His father leaves Benjamin, whose mother died at birth, in front of a nursing home. Benjamin grows back from the age of 85 in this nursing home and begins to live a rather interesting life.
11) The Man From Earth – From Earth (2007) | IMDb: 7.9
- Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Mystery
- Director: Richard Schenkman
- Cast: David Lee Smith, Tony Todd, John Billingsley
A group of scholars and a man who claims to have lived for 14,000 years. A professor named John Oldman is retiring, and his academic friends come to Oldman’s house to say goodbye in a surprise way. Oldman, on the other hand, reveals his secret to his friends in a way he has never done before. Until the end of the movie, we believe and doubt what Oldman tells.
10) District 9 – Forbidden District 9 (2009) | IMDb: 7.9
- Genre: Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller
- Director: Neill Blomkamp
- Cast: Sharlto Copley, David James, Jason Cope
There are many theories on the arrival of aliens on our world and dozens of different movies on this concept. But none of these movies have the same perspective as District 9 . It is precisely from this point of view that the quirkiness and strangeness of the film comes from. Because District 9 places aliens that come to earth in a refugee camp.
In the movie, the last aliens trying to survive settle in the miserable regions of South Africa. The life of the aliens, who have established a ghetto community here, is truly deplorable. And when a company trying to take over their technology gets into trouble, the aliens’ life becomes even more difficult.
9) Boyhood – Childhood (2014) | IMDb: 7.9
- Genre: Drama
- Director: Richard Linklater
- Cast: Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke
Boyhood is a very interesting movie, not with its plot or plot, but with its shooting method. Because Boyhood has been filmed by the same director with the same actors for 12 years . In this way, we can see the changes that all the actors went through over 12 years in a single movie. The plot of the movie is actually quite simple. We follow the life of Mason, whose parents separated, for 12 years.
8) Her – Love (2013) | IMDb: 8.0
- Genre: Drama, Romance, Sci-Fi
- Director: Spike Jonze
- Cast: Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams, Scarlett Johansson
Set in a future not far from our present, Her presents an interesting science fiction story. In the movie, our hero Theodore is a writer who makes a living by writing handwritten letters. Because these letters are very difficult to find in this period. Theodore, who is also divorced from his wife, is alone and on the edge of depression.
Until one day I saw an ad. This advertisement of a highly advanced artificial intelligence program introduces our hero to a very attractive virtual woman. This attractive woman is actually just a voice. Theodore is getting more attached to the artificial intelligence Samantha day by day.
7) Groundhog Day – It Was Actually Yesterday (1993) | IMDb: 8.0
- Genre: Comedy, Fantasy, Romance
- Director: Harold Ramis
- Cast: Bill Murray, Andie MacDowell, Chris Elliott
Groundhog Day is one of the first productions that come to mind when it comes to interesting movies. The movie tells the strange and funny story of the weatherman Phil, who is stuck in an endless loop. Phil tells his program on February 1 that the blizzard won’t reach West Pennsylvania.
After that, Phil, who goes to Punxsutawney town in Pennsylvania, makes the news about the festival there on February 2. At the end of the day, the snowstorm goes beyond the forecasts and reaches the town and Phil is stuck in the town. From this point on, Phil starts waking up to the same day he hates every time.
6) The Big Lebowski – The Big Lebowski (1998) | IMDb: 8.1
- Genre: Comedy, Crime, Sports
- Directors: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
- Cast: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore
The Big Lebowski chasing a carpet is a very interesting movie for that reason alone. Jeff Lebowski, a bowling-sick hippie nicknamed “the Dude” in the movie, is mistaken for the wealthy Lebowski of the same name.
The gangsters who come to our Lebowski’s house leave urine on Lebowski’s precious carpet. Thereupon, Lebowski embarks on an absurd and funny adventure to reach the rich version of himself and ask for his dice to be met.
5) The Truman Show (1998) | IMDb: 8.1
- Genre: Comedy, Drama
- Director: Peter Weir
- Cast: Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, Laura Linney
Who would have thought of turning a person’s life into a television show where every second of it is broadcast live from the day he was born? Truman, an insurance salesman and living the perfect life, obviously wouldn’t have thought of it. Because it is purely coincidental that Truman learns that he is the lead role of a TV show. The Truman Show , which makes good social criticism, is a tragicomic and interesting movie.
4) Memento – Diary (2000) | IMDb: 8.4
- Genre: Mystery, Thriller
- Director: Christopher Nolan
- Cast: Guy Pearce, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano
Memento is a Christopher Nolan movie with a mind-blowing plot. Memento, one of the first that comes to mind when it comes to interesting movies, tells the strange story of Leonard Shelby, who is trying to find the murderer of his wife. Shelby’s story is strange because she suffers from an extremely rare short-term memory loss. Shelby, who can sometimes forget even 15 minutes before, cannot remember what happened after her husband died.
3) Old Boy – Oldboy (2003) | IMDb: 8.4
- Genre: Action, Drama, Mystery
- Director: Park Chan Wook
- Cast: Choi Min-sik, Yoo Ji-Tae, Kang Hye-jeong
Oldboy is one of the films that tells the story of revenge in the most interesting way. In the movie, which is one of the most loved productions of Korean cinema, a man named Oh Dae-Soo is locked in a room for 15 years by unknown people.
The man, who is then suddenly released, pursues those who imprisoned him. Trying to solve the reason why she was locked in a room for 15 years, Oh Dae-Soo is faced with the harsh truths from her past.
2) Fight Club (1999) | IMDb: 8.8
- Genre: Drama
- Director: David Fincher
- Cast: Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helena Bonham Carter
It would be impossible not to mention interesting movies and not include Fight Club on the list. Based on Chuck Palahniuk’s novel of the same name, Fight Club is a rather strange movie. A man who is obviously sociopathic in every way; we can say that the main starting point of the events in the movie is the establishment of an underground club for men where they can beat each other. Fight Club, which is also a great system critique, is a movie that pushes the boundaries of interestingness.
1) Inception – The Beginning (2010) | IMDb: 8.8
- Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
- Director: Christopher Nolan
- Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Elliot Page
Christopher Nolan loves interesting subjects and intricate plots. Returning from the Academy with four Oscar awards, Inception does not fall behind in terms of interestingness and complexity. A subconscious thief named Dom Cobb agrees to do one last job to get his life back. But in the world of cinema, the works done with the name of this end always lead to various problems for the hero.
The order does not change in this movie either. Dom Cobb, who enters his target’s dreams with his team and steals information from his subconscious, is stepping into the most difficult job of his life. This job leaves both us and our heroes in the middle of a brain-burning puzzle.
After the Interesting Movies list, you can also check out these movie lists:
Best Horror Movies of the 21st Century
Natural Disaster Themed Movies
This post is also available in: Türkçe Français Español Deutsch
Yorumlar (0) Add Comment