George Orwell is considered one of the most important writers not only of English literature, but of world literary history. Although he is known as George Orwell, his real name is Eric Arthur Blair. Born in India in 1903, George Orwell died in London in 1950 at the age of 46.
He produced many works throughout his life, 2. George Orwell, who lived through World War I and the Spanish Civil War, lived his short 46-year life to the fullest. His books and articles manage to impress the masses even today.
1984 and Animal Farm are considered to be the most important novels reflecting George Orwell’s character and outlook on life. In fact, he is known for the concept of Big Brother, which he created in the novel 1984. There are 10 books and countless articles that he left behind.
Drawing attention to social injustice in his works, George Orwell was a writer who took a stance against totalitarianism and spoke his words clearly and without hesitation. We have compiled his words and quotes for you.
George Orwell Quotes and Quotes
1) “The further a society strays from the truth, the more it hates those who speak the truth.”
2) “We don’t try to destroy our enemies, we change them.”
3) “Educated people who watch oppression and torture without moving a finger are not known whether they are despicable with their blindness or with their conscience.”
4) “They can reveal everything you do, say or think, down to the smallest detail, but they cannot touch the depth of your heart, its workings, that place that even you don’t know about.”
5) “As time passed, he realized that the worship of money was elevated to the status of a religion. It was perhaps the only true religion, the only truly felt religion, that remained to us.”
6) “There are books that a person reads over and over again, that take their place among the fixtures of his mind and change his view of life. Just like there are books that one never reads from start to finish, reads in one sitting and forgets a week later.”
7) “Winning is out of the question in this game we’re playing. But some defeats are better than others.”
8) “A significant portion of those who enjoy power take on different identities every day, like snakes that shed their skin, in order not to lose this position.”
9) “There was no question of pure love or passion anymore. No emotion could be pure, because fear and hatred permeated everything. Their hugs were a battle, their orgasms a victory. It was a blow to the party. Making love was a political act…”
10) “Four legs good, two legs bad!”
11) “Man is the only creature that consumes without producing. He does not give milk, does not lay eggs, does not have the strength to pull the plow, cannot run fast enough to catch rabbits. Yet he is the master of all animals. He makes animals work, giving them enough food that they will not die, and keeping the rest for himself.”
12) “In fighting against man, we must not end up like him. Even when you defeat him, do not try to adopt his bad habits. No animal should ever live in a house, sleep in a bed, wear clothes, drink or smoke, handle money, engage in business. All the habits of man Most importantly, no animal should bully those of its own kind. Strong and weak, smart or stupid, we are all brothers. No animal should kill another animal. All animals are equal.”
13) “Man and animals have common interests; the welfare of one is the welfare of the others.
14) “Freedom is to be able to say that two and two make four. If this is allowed, the rest will come by itself.”
15) “Being in a minority, even being a minority of one person, did not mean that he was insane. There was a truth and an untruth. When you cling to the truth, you wouldn’t be crazy even if you had the whole world in front of you.”
16) “It was enough to take a glance around you to see that life is not at all akin to the lies poured out from the screens, but also to the ideals the party is trying to achieve.”
17) “The sky was one for all, no matter where it was.”
18) “The past is erased, it is forgotten that it was erased, the lie becomes the truth.”
19) “It doesn’t necessarily have to be actually being fought. Since a decisive victory is not possible, it doesn’t matter how the war goes. All that is required is that a state of war exists.”
20) “Maybe it’s a one-man minority they call insane. Just as it was once considered a sign of madness to believe that the earth revolves around the sun, it was now considered a sign of madness to believe that the past cannot be changed. He could be the only one to hold this belief, and if he did, then he was a lunatic.” But he didn’t care much about madness, what really frightened him was that he might be wrong.”
21) “The so-called truth often brings with it strong pain. Most people do not seek truth that brings pain. What people need are pleasant, comforting stories that can make them feel that their own existence has a slightly deeper meaning. That’s why what you call religion can exist. “
22) “There are no heroes in the face of pain.”
23) “The essence of being human is that one does not seek perfection.”
24) “The choice for humanity is between happiness and freedom, and happiness is better for the vast majority of humanity.”
25) “If you want to keep a secret, you must keep it from yourself.”
This post is also available in: Türkçe